Monday, October 12, 2015

Brand New Start

Sept 28th- Oct 4

The last day of the transfer is always weird.  For starters, it was the first time since I've been here that we did not play volleyball!!!  We played basketball instead which is fun because I played well, bet let's be honest, the elders can still dribble circles around me.  Everyone signed each others transfer journals and I talked to elder Simpson who used to be the district leader a few transfers back for my area.   He was giving me some advice, which was super helpful.  By the way, I love the skirt!  When I first pulled it out I thought it was pj pants because it was such a comfy material, but to my surprise it was a skirt.  Thanks mom, you're the best!!!
Tuesday, we scrambled around as we biked, street contacted, tried potential and as I packed and tried to get the area organized and ready to go for when I leave.  I think sister Lellis has a hard time dealing with stress and change because there were some flashbacks to the beginning of the transfer....We had dinner with brother Haining (our new ward mission leader), Nick Dijana and Brady.  They are always so funny.  I am going to miss them a tom!  I shared the scripture Helaman 5:12 for the spiritual thought because it was my favorite scripture and the scripture dad showed me before I was baptized.
"And now my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his might winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his might storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
Afterwards, we had a lesson with Dijana about temples and eternal families.  Like always, when we talk about temples there was a special spirit in the room.  When we were saying our goodbyes, Dijana told me how thankful she was to have me us and how she would have never guessed that she would be here.  It was a tender moment when I realized that through all of my troublesome days, I am truly doing the work of the Lord and there are eternal destinies in my path that I have an influence on.  I am so very grateful for the opportunity to have met Dijana and to have this opportunity to serve my Heavenly Father and bring souls back to Him.  I am grateful also for Nick and Brady and their desire and diligence in helping with the work.
Wednesday we picked up our new missionaries.  I have the only foreigner out of the entire bunch.  Sister Kaufusi is from Tonga and she is a blessing.  She is driven and hard working and loves to learn.  She is so humble and I know that we are going to do some incredible work together.  There has not been sister missionaries in the new area for almost two years and it is special that we were chosen to serve in Bullhead City, AZ.
Thursday began with the road trip to Bullhead.  We stayed with the RS president that evening because the electricity was not turned on in our apartment.  On the way down we stopped in a little town and ate at McD's where we ran into tow sets of members who were so surprised to see missionaries in Searchlight.  We met with the bishop's family and had dinner with them.  His children were in the driveway waiting to greet us.  Everyone is excited to have sister missionaries here.  Sister Kaufusi gave the spiritual thought for dinner.  We with the RS president, Sister Beatty,  to drop a few things off at our apartment.  The whole ward worked to ready  our apartment for us.  My heart is so full.  I can not wait to start serving in this area.  Sister Beatty is an angel!!  She has helped us so much.
Friday morning began with district counsel meeting and it was very inspirational.  We later met with a girl named Olivia, whois 8 and was recently baptized.  Her mom is less active but wants her kids to be in the church.  It is seriously so much fun being in a family ward and teaching children.  We had dinner with the Swansons.  They joined the church recently and are amazing.  Sister Beatty is so nice, she brought us milk and food to fill our fridge.  When sister Kaufusi looked outside the window of our apartment, she said, "it looks like a third world county, and I am from TONGA!!"  Ha ha, there are a lot of trailer parks.
Saturday we woke early to help an older lady set up for a garage sale.  The money raised was going to a lady in the ward who had cancer.  One man came by and both a few things so the elderly sister said, "come back now"...then under her breath I heard her mumble to a friend "and take me out to dinner".
Conference was amazing.  We watched it at the ward building which is literally right across the street from our apartment.  We saw many miracles as we prayed to know which doors to knock on an what streets to drive down to find all the people God has given us to help find.  We had dinner with Sister Fults who is an old Italian lady.  She happens to be in charge of the dinner calendar.  She is so cute and made us Italian sausage sandwiches with tomato sauce and gives cookies and grapes for the road.  I have a feeling we will be given a lot of cookies in this town.
I am happy to be here in Bullhead City, AZ.  It is an adjustment but I know the Lord has selected this place for sister Kaufusi and me.
The Church is true.  I love you
Sister Gier





No comments:

Post a Comment